Diane E. Pritchard
Diane Pritchard has a broad federal and state litigation practice with a focus on complex business disputes, antitrust and unfair competition, class actions, energy, securities litigation, intellectual property, professional liability, and employment and housing. She has substantial trial experience and has handled numerous appeals in the California Court of Appeal, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Her practice has included representation before the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, California Public Utilities Commission, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, California Labor Commissioner, Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and United States Department of Housing and Urban Development. Ms. Pritchard has been named a Northern California Super Lawyer in Antitrust Litigation. In addition, she is the recipient of the Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services. A representative sample of some of the matters Ms. Pritchard has handled includes:
- Lead counsel for major energy company in antitrust litigation and nationwide class actions involving the natural gas and electricity industries in multidistrict litigation and in state and federal courts in California, Arizona, Nevada,
- Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Missouri, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Kansas, including obtaining summary judgment.
- Successfully defended foreign paper manufacturer in nationwide class actions in multidistrict proceedings and various state courts involving alleged price-fixing cartel in the market for publication paper.
- Represented insurance company in class action litigation alleging fraud in the marketing of variable rate premium insurance policies.
- Antitrust counseling and advice for major professional association.
- Counsel for numerous nonprofit organizations in employment, housing, real estate, and tort disputes.
- Represented insurer in the trial court and on appeal in numerous environmental coverage actions.
- Represented various energy companies in federal court litigation regarding the California electricity markets.
- Represented large bookselling chain in litigation brought by national association of independent booksellers on federal and state antitrust and unfair competition claims.
- Successfully defended major public university at the trial and appellate court levels in class action involving its pension plan and early retirement benefits.
- Represented agricultural interests in electricity rate allocation proceedings before the California Public Utilities Commission.
- Represented securities firm in series of cases involving broker misconduct.
- Lead trial counsel for major Southern California non-profit organization in probate dispute involving bequest.
- Successfully defended major accounting firm at the trial and appellate court levels in series of securities class actions.
- Represented developer in land use, regulatory, and environmental challenges to a major commercial and residential real estate development.
- Represented major Southern California art museum in dispute involving ownership of art work.
Ms. Pritchard received her law degree from New York University School of Law, where she was Order of the Coif and Editor-in-Chief of the New York University Law Review. Upon graduation, she served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable James L. Oakes of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Ms. Pritchard has previously been a Partner at Morrison & Foerster LLP, Special Counsel at O’Melveny & Myers LLP, and a Partner at Pritchard, Fields & Jaffe.
Ms. Pritchard is a member of the California State Bar and the American Bar Association (Litigation and Antitrust Sections). She is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California.